Hecho en Mejico

Home Depot Promotes Mexican-Made Coca-Cola Products

Hecho en Mejico

As I strolled into my local Fort Lauderdale Home Depot to rent some very ‘manly’ power equipment for a home improvement project that I recently started, I stumbled upon a very interesting amateurish-looking display that  promoted ‘Hecho en Mejico’ sodas.

I asked the employee in the rental department if he knew anything about the display, and what his thoughts about it were. He laughed and told me that  ”remember its bottled in Mexico using the water down there.”

Thoughts of Montezuma’s Revenge instantly swirled through my head.

The Coca Cola company has bottling capabilities in many countries around the world including Mexico, but isn’t it more than a bit odd that Home Depot would promote the soda as being “De Mexico” as the key selling point for the product?  The display also points out the ‘bargain’ that consumers are getting by buying Mexican-made soda over the usual American-bottled soda.

One can speculate that perhaps they were directly targeting  immigrant Mexican laborers or other “Hispanic” laborers that frequent Home Depot- either that or they simply got a really good deal from the Mexican Coca-Cola bottler.

Did Home Depot get a good deal from the bottler which enables them to “pander” to Hispanic labor force at-large? Is “Made in America” branding simply not cool in the Era of Obama, and will it be diminished by similar promotions in the future?

I can only wonder what the local union employees that work for Coca Coca think about Home Depot promoting and selling the same non-American labor force products.

Please share the post below. Gracias!

1. Mikey’s December 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I always thought Mexican coke was made with real sugar not high fructose corn syrup as in the us. Maybe that’s the selling point.

• Harold December 28, 2012 at 5:23 pm

First one- nailed it. Sucrose, real sugar- the selling point.

I live in noerthern NY. Everytime I visit Niagara Falls, I walk back over the bridge from Canada with extra bottle of real Coke- real as in Coke with sucrose… Along with some root beers.

If the U.S. stopped subsidizing Hawaiin sugar producers, and American sugar prices dropped to the world price, American sodsas would very quickly regain their taste…

• John G Henke December 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I had a coke in Russia and it was great! I hadn’t tasted one like that since the 60s, and it had to be the old formula with sugar and not that hi fructose corn syrup poison. I wouldn’t be surprised if that crap was illegal outside of the US. So maybe I’ll try some of the Mexican stuff, it couldn’t be any worse than the stuff they make here.

• sarah December 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

John – You are exactly right about the HFCS versus sugar.
          I’ve been drinking Coca Cola de Mexico for several years—-getting it from either Kroger or Costco —and it is fantastic, just like what we grew up on.
          HFCS was making me sick so I have eliminated it from my diet completely….I mean completely; I will not touch the stuff.
          These Cokes are good and not as fattening.
          Yes, sugar will make you fat if you consume too much or don’t burn it off and, of course, diabetics can’t have it BUT HFCS is poison!

• John G Henke December 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

That’s a real good move Sarah. I was watching How It’s Made a while back and they went into a hot dog factory. While grinding up all of the animal bits to an un-recognizable condition I saw where they were pouring Hi Fructose Corn Syrup right into it. It was about a week later I heard where there is a relationship with diabetes and the consumption of processed meat. Imagine that. I put on my super-seers now when I read those labels. Too bad Aspartame methanol is listed under “natural flavors”.

• EBL December 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm

That is exactly correct. The stupid sugar tariffs and subsidies in the US, keep sugar prices artificially high. So soda is better south of the border because up here they use high fructose corn sugar instead. Candy companies are leaving the US too. We need to end the sugar subsidy and let market forces control.

2. Robert Nelson December 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Mexican cola is made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup from what I have read previously. It is suppose to be a better product. The water is an issue I had not thought about.

• John G Henke December 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I don’t know about what they do in Mexico, but in Russia Coca cola puts in their own water supply and usually fixes up the whole thing for whatever city they are in. So the whole town gets good drinking water.

• EBL December 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Water for bottled soda is really not a big deal. Brewers and bottlers have to have access to sufficient quantities of potable water, but they filter it per specs from the supplier (Coke, Pepsi, etc.). It is totally controllable. Coke Cola, being a cola-vanilla product, is less dependent on water than Pepsi, which is cola-citrus flavored. I would guess the bottling plants in Mexico for Coke and Pepsi have fairly decent water.

3. Smart Feller December 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm

If water were an issue, why would the beer made there be so highly appreciated? I, too thought it was an issue about the sugar vs corn syrup, but the immigrant labor that might frequent this local establishment might be attracted by such an offer.

• John G Henke December 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm

The difference between sugar and corn syrup is that sugar is sweet, but HI fructose corn syrup is sweet and it will also kill you.

4. CalFl December 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Until our federal government began subsidizing the corn industry 30 or so years ago, US Coca-Cola was also made with real sugar. Mexican Coca-Cola tastes way better and by not buying “Made in America” Coca-Cola, I’m doing my small part in not supporting our absurd big farm/corporate welfare program. I wish more stores would sell it. I buy it whenever I have the choice and “no” I’m not Mexican. Viva Coca Cola de Mexico!!

• EBL December 29, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Corn subsidies are an issue, but is sugar subsidies and protection tariffs that make it too expensive for soft drinks.

5. WolfF December 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Before 1980, Coca-Cola was made worldwide predominantly with white granulated cane sugar. As Coke and Pepsi purchase such massive quantities of this commodity, a new source of sweetener had to be developed or the supply/demand curve would have sent pricing for cane sugar out of control. That would have impacted every Mom buying sugar at the grocery store. As the US had an abundance of corn, and Farmers needed the business, Coke and Pepsi developed complex formulas of high quality sugar made from corn, i.e. High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS has a slightly different taste than cane sugar and some consumers prefer the original taste. Mexico still uses the old cane sugar formulation. It has NOTHING to do with Made in America, Obama, or any other conspiracy theory. It simply tastes good and consumers are willing to pay the costs.

• John G Henke December 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Yea, the costs in obesity and diabetes.

• sarah December 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

It is my assumption that it is the workers and immigrants from Mexico that has brought their Coke to our shelves. For that, I am thankful.
      Remember the “New Coke” that Coca Cola tried to foist on us back “then” (Can’t recall the exact decade)?
      I’m wondering if that wasn’t the ruse they used to make the switch from sugar to HFCS ——mixing it up a bit, then when we revolted against New Coke, telling us they were going “back” to the “Original” but really weren’t.
      ?Quien sabe?

6. pam December 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Our Pompano Home Depot has been selling Mexican Coke for a couple years now. Wikipedia says cane sugar is the difference in the Mexican version.

“In taste tests, tasters have noted that the Mexican Coke has “a more complex flavor with an ineffable spicy and herbal note”,[2] and that it contained something “that darkly hinted at root beer or old-fashioned sarsaparilla candies”.[2] Some have suggested that the flavor resembles that of the kola nut.[2]“

• John G Henke December 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm

If they would only put the Coca leaves back in it would be perfect!

7. Marcie December 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Mexican coke is made with cane sugar. American companies switched to corn syrup because the idiot government tried to “protect” American sugar interests which caused sugar prices to skyrocket in the US. Government should stay out of the FREE Market. I would gladly buy coke with real sugar from Mexico.

8. krash721 December 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thankfully our local Sams stocks Mexican Coke.Made with real sugar and tastes like the ‘real’ Coke U remember.

9. Marcie December 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

And union employees can kiss my … Stop with the protectionist crap. If Mexicans had jobs at home they would stay there and not be over here discovering the joys of the welfare system.

10. Renee December 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yes, I actually buy Coke that is made in Mexico at my local Sam’s club, because of the fact that it is made with real sugar. I try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup whenever possible. I wish they sold the other coke products here too but we can only get Coke.

11. harry houdini December 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm

If I was going to buy Coke, I’d rather but it from Cuba….The mexican government( small m) is much more corrupt than the Castro regime, they just pay off more of our elected officials. AND DON’T TELL ME THAT I DON’T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

12. Mike Rogers December 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm

It’s not so much the corn subsidies as the sugar tariffs. Since about the 1950s, the US government has protected the powerful Florida Sugar families, such that Americans pay approximately three times the world price for sugar.
    Necessity being the mother of invention, ADM figured out a way to make High Fructose Corn Syrup, in a form which could be easily incorporated into sodas and candies. In a free market, the lower cost product wins, and thus HFCS crowded out sugar.
    In Canada, Mexico, and other locales, sodas are still made with real sugar, and the real thing can be highly prized, especially by recent immigrants, who remember what Coke should taste like.
    So, no Javier, in this case, I don’t think they are pandering to recent illegal immigrants, but to folks who know the difference. Who knows, they may even be pandering to those British ex pats who write the tabloids there in Florida?

13. Ethelssoninlaw December 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Once a year, you can buy kosher-for-Passover Coke that is also made with pure sugar. 100% better than regular Coke!

14. Cindiloo December 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm

A co-worker who’s wife is from Mexico said the high fructose corn syrup is illegal in Mexico. I’ve bought Mexican Coke in the past whenever I could find it because it is made with cane sugar. Now I buy Pepsi Throwback that is easy to find and is made with pure cane sugar. Tastes great!

15. Roger Conklin December 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm

You can’t buy “made in the USA” Coca Cola in Cuba, but “Hecho en Mexico” Coca Cola is available in Cuba in the hotels that serve foreign tourists. I am not sure how Coca Cola gets aroung the embargo by supplying its products to Cuba through its licensees and subsidiaries located in other countries, such as Mexico.

16. NaplesBill December 29, 2012 at 9:39 am

It’s all about taste, no pandering involved. Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) at all cost. Check labels it’s in almost everything you buy at the store. Watch the movie, “King Corn” to learn among other things why sulfuric acid is used to make HCFS. Your tax dollars=corn subsidies=HCFS poisonous food additive in almost everything you eat.

17. magnus October 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

even American prefer oversea coke as the sugar version and HFCS version do not taste the same in fact coke new that and that’s why the bridged it with new coke that was so sickly sweet with HFCS even Pepsi loved hated it so there was a massive run on the old coke and when it was well after no store had any and coke lost millions in sales they came out with a close poor clone of the original and ran with it but it was never as popular and why Mexican coke commands such a high price as Mexico coke cost less to make
    and the reason Cuba can get Mexican coke is they have no embargo