Ron DeSantis/ Shark Tank

Obama’s ‘Pay Hike’ Executive Order Overturned With Passage of House Bill 273

RonDeSantisOne of the U.S. Congress’ rising young Republican stars, Florida Congressman Ron DeSantis, has just seen  his first piece of legislation pass in the U.S. House of Representatives by a 261-154 bipartisan vote. DeSantis’ H.R. 273 bill was supported by 43 of the President’s supposed Democrat ‘friends’ in the House of Representatives

The take away here is that the  bill overturns President Obama’s executive order that implemented “an across-the-board pay hike for non-military federal employees, including Members of Congress, members of the President’s cabinet and the Vice President, Joe Biden.’ This is significant because it sends a message to President Obama that he needs to tread lightly and not continue the egregious overstepping of his powers as President.

According to DeSantis, his bill will save the American taxpayer $11 billion in new spending over the next decade.

DeSantis bill was applauded by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor who said DeSantis has “shown great leadership” and applauds him for taking the initiative of trying to get the nation’s “spending under control.”

Here is the excerpt from Rep. DeSantis’ press release on the passing of his bill.

“When American families are tightening their belts in order to make ends meet, the federal government must do the same,” said Rep. DeSantis. “The bipartisan passage of this bill is a great step toward tackling our fiscal deficiencies and Obama’s overspending head-on. This bill is not a reflection of the fine work done by many federal employees, but is simply a recognition of our current fiscal situation. I’m proud my very first piece of legislation proves the U.S. House is serious about putting our nation on a sustainable fiscal path.”

“Compensation for government employment must bear at least some relationship to the private sector economy that pays the taxes necessary to support it,” added Rep. DeSantis. “As a former active duty Navy officer who worked closely with many fine civilian employees, and now as a Member of Congress, I respect and appreciate the hard work of all our public servants. However, during these challenging times, all of us, private and public sector alike, especially Members of Congress, must make sacrifices in order to reduce spending, not increase it.”

1. tdasbach@gmail.com February 15, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Great, now he should make bill reducing the salaties of himself and all congressmen,andvhouse representtives with 25 percent and intoduce term limits for them to 8 years and no pension benefits othervthan 401k.
    If he would do hevwouldv proof that he really cares about the middleclass which suffers in our country. o yeah i forgot also introducec a bill that reduces our military expenses with 25 percent and close our bases in Japan and Germany and stopbthecaid to all countries like Pakistan.

2. Milt Farrow February 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

Dear Sir: You are to be congratulated on the message you have sent to this president. I would share with you, that this moring as I went shooping at “Aldi’s” “I will not patronize “Chinagate” a young lady refused to accept my quarter as she handed her rental cart to me, I smiled and went in- I was to find something that I wish to share with you and the Elitist bunch that haven’t the foggiest of what is going on about them-That there were several packages that were opened-I di9dn’t realize it at first-But when Americans stoop to steal Money It is time to think in terms of absolute revolution to rid ourselves of this yoke of tyranny- We wrested this country from the Bristish “Tories” and we can do it again- Let’s send the Wall street Pimps and their banker Whores “To the Wall”

3. Larry Joseph Morgan February 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

No passed budget…NO PAY!!! PERIOD!!!

4. G Speed February 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm

OK –My congressman got 11 billion off the spending train –how about you get your congressman to get 11 billion off the train and so forth for all the whiners –that would be 535+/- times 11 billion (5.8 trillion over the next decade)

Seems you’re the one not doing the job–get off your “blog” and get up close and personal with your congressman like I did with Ron DeSantis. I cornered him at a fund raiser for at least 3 min and got his undivided attention while pressing my points of limited gov’t and liberty. I found that he would represent me and so worked hard to help get him elected.

• Kent February 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm

You did great and so did Ron, we have a man her in Oklahoma that causes a big stink every time he rises to chastise the Senate for the asinine spending that is crippling this country, and we have some new congressmen that voted for Ron’s bill….

5. Loretta Leong February 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Huge congrats to Ron DeSantis…You’ve started the ball rolling. Let’s see if your cohorts can find the will and the cajones to continue.

6. Bill Low February 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Cong. DeSantis, great job!

Bill Low

7. John Caddy February 17, 2013 at 6:58 am

Federal workers have already gone 5 years without a pay raise. Now we must endure 22 weeks of furlough. 1 day per week. That is a 20% loss of pay. Try paying your bills after that.

• outofthefrey February 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

I am a retired teacher in Texas. We have not had a pay increase in the 11 years I’ve been retired. Let those jackals in Washington try to live on what I do. Oh, did gas go from $1.80 to the now $3.60? You betcha. So, suffer along with me and vote for the gov’t to stop rewarding it’s own and spend wisely.

8. jerry james February 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Bless Ron DeSantis. We need more legislators like him — peopl with wisdom and courage who are not self-seekers! My only question is: Does this bill require Senate approval to become law and, if so, is it likely to get passed by that “august” body controlled by dim-wits?

9. V Petit February 17, 2013 at 11:25 pm

So, Congress can actually do something to stop these executive orders?????? Why haven’t they done something about the hundreds of other executive orders that have gone through without a hint of action from Congress? Why is this the only one they’ve stopped? Good job Mr. DeSantis, but there are lots of other EOs that need to be overturned!!

10. DeltaDawn February 18, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Here is a quote from Rep DeSantis on Feb 2, 2013

On Monday I announced that I will not accept the taxpayer-subsidized benefits offered to Members of Congress and I am turning down my congressional pension and federal health insurance benefits. I didn’t run for Congress for the perks, I ran for office to be the type of citizen legislator our Founding Fathers envisioned and to change the prevailing culture in Washington….

Now we have HB 273….so maybe there is hope for our congress yet to show the emperor he cannot steam roll everyone.

11. DeltaDawn February 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

This from Rep DeSantis on Feb 2, 2013

On Monday I announced that I will not accept the taxpayer-subsidized benefits offered to Members of Congress and I am turning down my congressional pension and federal health insurance benefits. I didn’t run for Congress for the perks, I ran for office to be the type of citizen legislator our Founding Fathers envisioned and to change the prevailing culture in Washington.

Now we have HB 273. So, let’s send him a note of appreciation and hope that perhaps there is some light in this tunnel of RINO Republicans.