Pam Bondi/ The Shark Tank

Bondi Supports Obama’s Anti-Business Lawsuit

Pam Bondi/ The Shark Tank

Pam Bondi/ The Shark Tank

By JAVIER MANJARRES

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi has weighed in on the American Airlines and US Airways mega-merger, joining Attorney General Eric Holder in filing suit against the planned merger.

Bondi states that “consumers will face decreased competition and increased prices because airlines can cut service and raise prices with less fear of competitive responses from rivals. Even a small increase in the price of tickets, checked bag fees, or flight change fees as a result of the merger could cost Americans millions of dollars.”

One of my most important obligations as Florida’s Attorney General is to enforce the laws that ensure a competitive and fair marketplace. Along with the attorneys general of several other states, this week I joined the Department of Justice in filing a federal lawsuit to stop the proposed merger of US Airways and American Airlines.

The two airlines compete directly on thousands of heavily traveled nonstop and connecting routes. If this merger is completed, consumers will face decreased competition and increased prices because airlines can cut service and raise prices with less fear of competitive responses from rivals. Even a small increase in the price of tickets, checked bag fees, or flight change fees as a result of the merger could cost Americans millions of dollars.

This merger would be anti-competitive and harmful to consumers, with 20 percent of the problematic flight routes affecting Florida, and by filing this lawsuit, we hope to save consumers from potential multi-million dollar increases in prices and fees.-Florida AG Pam Bondi

Bondi says that Americans could be susceptible to increase airline fees, but the truth is, the majority of airlines have already raised and added fees, such as the ones she cites.

Instead of the Obama administration campaigning to cut excessive airline fuel taxes, as well as a whole bunch of  “special” taxes, not to mention the traditional income and payroll taxes airlines already pay, the administration has  made another anti-business move that stifles business growth.

Let’s not forget that back in 2010, the merger between Continental and United Airlines to create the largest airline in the world was approved by Obama’s administration. Hypocrisy? (Source-Airline Merger)

Here is a list of the “special taxes” airlines are currently forced to pay. This image reminds me of my cell phone bill, which is also loaded with unnecessary and “excessive” federal taxes. (Source-Airline.org)

“Like and share” the story below. Leave a comment

airport

1. Henry Correa August 16, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I gotta tell ya, I’m not a follower but I trust Pam Bondi from I know of her. I’m relatively new to FL so I’m not the most informed poster. With that being said, I am inclined to at LEAST give this a serious second look and do some real research now, things aren’t always as they seem and the trust we have in our representatives should give us pause when we don’t agree.

• ABS August 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

Not the most informed person, indeed.

2. Perseids August 16, 2013 at 11:30 pm

My daughter did not wait for the bitter end at AA, She refused to move to Dallas and jumped ship about a year before the axe started to fall. I do miss the non-rev though. Can’t be that deal.

Bondi did in a previous existence live as a dem in Hillsborough. I think she fits what “the party” wants in new blood. Female and easy on the eyes.

• G Speed August 17, 2013 at 9:53 am

what “the party” wants is RINO fluff—there fixed it for ya

• G Speed August 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

pro business on the front page–anti business in the closet.

• Diane Kepus August 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

Easy on the eyes? Are you kidding me? Is that what it takes to lead this country! I admit every other Democratic politician I have ever seen is uglier than a wet dish cloth – maybe this is why Bondi chose to pass as a Republican because she is better to the eyes of some male voters. You are not looking at her heart nor her stands since being elected. Support of taking our guns is enough reason for most reasonable Americans to make sure she never serves in Republican offices again. Easy on the eyes? Yikes!

• Perseids August 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I was projecting what I surmise the washed up party of no ideas hiding in the dark around corners scared of their own shadows seems to be looking for as the next best thing to proffer to the sheeple voters. My experience with these slugs proves they have Never been about substance, ever.

Bondi is what she is. By my judgement she is easy on the eyes.

As far as “party” leadership goes, Well that is pretty much a vast wasteland of cowards. Unless you are enamored by Cantor, or Boehnor, or McConnell (net worth 20 mill btw). I will still put my dog up against any being with a pulse in DC ruling over us peons. My dog has never infringed upon anyone’s rights nor will he ever wish to. The perfect choice.

• George Blumel August 18, 2013 at 1:08 pm

The “easy on the eyes” part falls far short in compensating for her economic ignorance.

3. gracepmc August 17, 2013 at 3:01 am

Two regrettable votes — Bondi and Rubio.

• lakeview August 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm

right on!!

4. Paul Snyder August 17, 2013 at 7:16 am

No problem Pam. Stick with obama We can easily sequester funds away from Disabled Veterans, Or just print more to bail these airlines out when they claim Bankruptcy.

5. virginia August 17, 2013 at 8:17 am

You cannot read the list you printed.

• ABS August 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

You can’t, Virginia; I can.

6. Dr.G.Laboda August 17, 2013 at 11:58 am

Bondi’s response is totally anti-business.

7. SoWhatBubb August 17, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Bondi, like the Lackey Rubio, is another disappointment.

Dems like her can not find room to run in the bloated Dem party,
    so, they posture as Americans and deceitfully run as Republicans,
    tne slink back to the Dem rat hole after they are elected.

Now she is in bed with Odumba and his henchmen.

Bondi is a disgrace.

8. Ronald Joseph Kule August 17, 2013 at 1:41 pm

When you see the list of taxes assessed on the airlines, you remember that, in the end, the numbers don’t ever lie.

9. C T Vivian August 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Dumb See you next Tuesday!

10. Lamar Smith August 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm

more competition… when AA goes broke there will be only one carrier, just fewer people employed. Good going Bondi.

• ABS August 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm

AA already is broke – its in bankruptcy. Now its in chapter 11, trying to reorganize. Maybe after this, it will give up entirely.

What no one ever takes into account when pursuing these antitrust cases is the idea of substitute products. Ten years ago, people couldn’t see each other in a live videoconference on a telephone or computer on Skype from halfway around the world, now we can. The Bondis and Obamas of this world are oblivious to that.

Unless, of course, they have ulterior motives. And politicians these days almost always do.

• George Blumel August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Lamar and ABS understand what Bondi doesn’t –the free market sorts out business problems best when left alone. All government interference is counter-productive even if it seems to help some segment short term –eventually it has to be paid for. Bondi’s lack of economic knowledge like so many politicians costs the taxpayers and consumers eventually as it reduces overall prosperity for the masses. To be sure some benefit and they contribute to campaigns of the professional pols who are always looking to the next election. Lesson: when a business charges too much they get competition –new airlines like Jet Blue come into being.

Career pols are so dumb and/or self-serving!

11. Harris Klein says August 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Let’s start with a basic fact which is “that if Holder is for it it can’t be any good for the people in general and has to be horrible for business.That also means Bondi is in bed with BHO and his henchmen/women also. First it was deceitful Charlie, then Marco. Where do the RINOS stop? Marco went down the liberal tubes when he joined the Dems. by voting for NDAA.

12. SSMcDonald August 19, 2013 at 7:59 am

I usually agree with AG Bondi. In the matter of two private corporations attempting a merger, my comment is to mind your own business.You weren’t elected Florida State’s AG to stick your nose in legal private endeavor. That’s what Democrats do.

13. Iggy August 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I am lucky and have several airlines that fly to the places I want to go to. Unfortunatly they are all within a dollar or three of each others fares and all you have to change in Atlanta or Charlotte! Atlanta is the hell hole of the airports. I discovered that to fly from Orlando or Daytona to Springfield Missouri, all the airlines charge about $260 one way plus taxes etc. The competition is a non stop airline, uses the same aircraft as the majors, pleasent staff and most of the time there rates is just $51 including all taxes. Fly Alligiant from Sanford. Easy to park and get to, I cant even drive to Pensecola for $50 in gas!

Now if they would fly from my favorite airport in the world, Daytona life would be amazing! How about $50 to Newport News in Virginia!

Ian Hargraves.